Kids Marketing Policy
Consumer Communications Commitments
At Bazooka Candy Brands, a division of The Bazooka Companies, Inc. (BCB), we are committed to being responsible marketers of candy brands that delight millions of kids, and kids at heart, each year. We believe our products can be part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle when consumed in moderation as occasional treats.
BCB values the opportunity to communicate with all consumers about our products and wishes to do so respectfully and responsibly, especially to those under age 13. BCB supports the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) and the National Confectioners Association in their efforts to encourage responsible marketing to children. As such, BCB complies with CARU and Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) standards governing all kid-directed marketing activity including TV, radio & print advertising and on-line communications, company-run websites, social network participation, and sponsorships.
The commitments we make when communicating with current and prospective consumers of all ages regarding our products and services are the following:
- BCB communications will be honest in the portrayal of product attributes, including any claims about nutritional values. Nutrition information for a representative sampling of our products will be published on the corporate website to help consumers make healthy eating decisions.
- BCB communications will not disparage the pursuit of an active lifestyle or healthy eating choices, nor will they imply that confectionery products are replacements for balanced meals.
- BCB communications will not promote excessive consumption of its treats, and will feature reasonable portion sizes for the situation depicted.
- BCB television, social media communications, third-party print and third-party Internet advertising will not show children under the age of eight to promote confectionery products unless accompanied by adults or images are submitted as user-generated content.
- BCB advertising will not use third-party licensed characters in a manner that blurs the distinction between the advertising and the TV program, movie or other entertainment content.
- BCB communications will not showcase violent or offensive behavior, or portray children in unsafe situations. In addition, communications efforts should not encourage discrimination on the basis of gender, race, religion or political affiliation.
- BCB will not advertise its products in elementary schools.
- BCB websites will be open and available to people of all ages, but will require registration and age verification for contests and sweepstakes in accordance with COPPA/CARU guidelines. If BCB integrates advertising into on-line games or activities, it will be clearly disclosed as such.
- When communicating with consumers online, BCB representatives will appropriately identify themselves and respect the confidential information of fans and followers.
- When creating content intended for social media network consumption and managing social network fan pages, BCB will respect copyright and intellectual property, supporting the guidelines established by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998.
- BCB sends free sample products to reporters and bloggers for their review. Whenever BCB sends free product or provides any other type of incentive to any reporters or bloggers, we request that they clearly disclose that in the body of their review, and ask them to fully adhere to our communications guidelines and to Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines.
- BCB publishes these Consumer Communications Commitments on our websites, so that they are readily available for public review and response.